Bait Needed for 2018 IPHC Fishery-Independent Setline Survey
300,000 pounds semi-bright chum salmon
Contact IPHC by 25 August 2017
The International Pacific Halibut Commission is acquiring bait for the 2018 fishery-independent setline survey. Due to the scientific nature of the study, IPHC bait quality requirements and standardization exceed those normally provided by industry as bait chums.
Chum salmon requirements:
- Headed and gutted (H&G)
- Individually quick frozen (IQF).
- The minimum grade is semi-bright #2s (ASMI grade A-E). Fish of a higher quality are acceptable but not preferred over the minimum quality.
- IPHC prefers 4/6 lbs and 6/9 lbs; 9/up lbs may be considered.
- Bait may be inspected by IPHC staff prior to purchase to ensure that the flesh is firm and has been processed in a manner that maintains the required quality.
- Bait must be toted in ~1,000 lb fiber totes.
- Information on the month of capture, the run for each unit/tote of bait purchased, and tote weight is required. Also, the labeling of totes as IPHC specific product before shipment would be preferred.
- The salmon must have been caught and processed no earlier than June 2017.
- Invoices submitted for payment no later than March 2018.
For 2018, the IPHC has been investigating spatial expansion of the survey. As part of our planning, the Commission requests bidders provide information on timing, quantity, and location availability of chum salmon between the dates of 1 June and 31 August 2018. This will assist the IPHC in determining possible significant in-season purchases.
- END -
David T. Wilson, Ph.D.
Phone: (206) 634-1838
Fax: (206) 632-2983
Please download our printable news release for more details on our poundage needs by port and the bid submission form.