IPHC Media Release 2020-031 Attention Salmon Processors - Fish Needed for the IPHC Fishery-Independent Setline Survey (FISS)
23 October 2020
SEATTLE – The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) is acquiring approximately 90 tonnes (200,000 pounds) of fish for the 2021 Fishery-Independent Setline Survey (FISS). Due to the scientific nature of the study, IPHC quality requirements and standardisation exceed those normally provided by industry as bait chum.
Chum salmon requirements:
- Headed and gutted (H&G)
- Individually quick frozen (IQF).
- minimum grade is semi-bright #2s (ASMI grade A-E).
- 2 to 3 kg (4 to 6 lb) and 3 to 4 kg (6 to 9 lb) preferred; >4 kg (>9 lb) considered.
- Fish will be inspected by the IPHC Secretariat prior to purchase to ensure that the flesh is firm and has been processed in a manner that maintains the required quality.
- Fish must be toted in ~0.5 tonne (1,200 lb) fiber totes.
- Information on the month of capture, the run for each unit/tote of fish purchased, and tote weight is required. Also, the labeling of totes as IPHC specific product before shipment preferred.
- Must have been caught and processed no earlier than June 2020.
The IPHC will consider quantity offered, size, quality, price and preseason storage location when making purchases. To be included in purchase negotiations, complete the information on the second page of this announcement and submit it to the IPHC Secretariat via e-mail: email@example.com by 11:59pm Pacific Time on 31 October 2020. Purchase agreements will be released to the parties by 15 November 2020.
As part of our planning, the IPHC would also like information on timing, quantity and location availability of chum salmon between the dates of 1 June and 31 August 2021. This will assist the IPHC in determining possible in-season purchases.
During May 2021, fish is shipped to ports specified by the IPHC for the 2021 FISS. Estimated fish needs in 2021 are listed below:
If you would like to be included in purchase negotiations, please complete the following table:
|Size||Quality||Quantity __kg __lb||Price per __kg __lb||Preseason storage location|
If you are able to provide chum salmon between 1 June and 31 August 2021, please expand on estimated quantity, timeframe and location. If you offer additional services with your submission or offer in-season chum salmon, please include an explanation with your response. Vendors who are able to provide cold storage from time of purchase until shipment may be preferred.
International Pacific Halibut Commission
2320 W. Commodore Way, Suite 300
Seattle, WA 98199-1287
206-634-1838 | www.iphc.int