IPHC Media Release 2022-015 Attention Salmon Processors -Chum Salmon Needed for the 2023 IPHC Fishery-Independent Setline Survey (FISS)
23 August 2022
SEATTLE – The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) will require approximately 105 tonnes (210,000 pounds) of fish for the 2023 Fishery-Independent Setline Survey (FISS).
Due to the scientific nature of the study, IPHC quality requirements and standardisation exceed those normally provided by industry as bait chum.
Chum salmon requirements:
- Headed and gutted (H&G)
- Individually quick frozen (IQF).
- Minimum grade is semi-bright #2s (ASMI grade A-E).
- 2 to 3 kg (4 to 6 lb) and 3 to 4 kg (6 to 9 lb) preferred; >4 kg (>9 lb) considered.
- Fish will be inspected by the IPHC Secretariat prior to purchase to ensure that the flesh is firm and has been processed in a manner that maintains the required quality.
- Fish must be toted in ~0.5 tonne (1,200 lb) fiber totes.
- Information on the month of capture, the run for each unit/tote of fish purchased, and tote weight is required. Also, the labeling of totes as IPHC specific product before shipment preferred.
- Must have been caught and processed no earlier than June 2022.
The IPHC will consider quantity offered, size, quality, price and preseason storage or supply location when making purchases. To be included in purchase negotiations, complete the information on the second page of this announcement and submit it to the IPHC Secretariat via e-mail: email@example.com by 11:59pm Pacific Time on 5 September 2022. Purchase agreements will be released to the parties by 16 September 2022.
As part of our planning, the IPHC would also like information on timing, quantity, and location availability of chum salmon between the dates of 1 June and 31 August 2023. This will assist the IPHC in determining possible in-season purchases.
During May 2023, fish is shipped to ports specified by the IPHC for the 2023 FISS. Estimated fish needs in 2023 are listed below:
If you would like to be included in purchase negotiations, please complete the following table:
If you are able to provide chum salmon between 1 June and 31 August 2023 at any of the above locations, please expand on estimated quantity, timeframe and location. If you offer additional services with your submission (i.e. storage or loading costs), please include an explanation with your response.
International Pacific Halibut Commission
2320 W. Commodore Way, Suite 300
Seattle, WA 98199-1287
206-634-1838 | www.iphc.int