IPHC News Release 2018-012 Open Call for Expressions of Interest: IPHC Management Strategy Advisory Board Membership
15 May 2018
IPHC NEWS RELEASE 2018-012
OPEN CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST:
IPHC management strategy advisory board membership
The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) invites Expressions of Interest (EOI) from persons seeking to serve as members of its Management Strategy Advisory Board (MSAB).
The MSAB meets twice yearly, in May and October, for 4 days each. Board members serve without compensation from the Commission, though travel expenses to meetings of the Board, and associated per diem, are fully paid.
The primary role of the MSAB is to oversee and advise the IPHC Secretariat staff on the Management Strategy Evaluation (MSE) process. MSE is a stakeholder-informed, scientifically driven process supporting the development of a revised IPHC harvest strategy. The primary objectives of the MSAB, as described in Appendix V of the IPHC Rules of Procedure (2017), are as follows:
- define clear measurable objectives and performance measures for the fishery;
- define candidate management strategies, which include aspects of the fishery that can be managed (e.g., regulatory requirements);
- advise IPHC Secretariat staff about plausible scenarios for investigation, which include aspects of the fishery that cannot be managed by the IPHC (e.g., environmental conditions and removals under the management authority of a domestic management agency);
- gather and clearly articulate the interests and concerns of constituents and incorporate them into the MSAB’s discussions;
- encourage and allow members to test tentative ideas and exploratory suggestions without prejudice to future discussions;
- represent information, views, and outcomes of the MSAB discussions to external parties accurately and appropriately; and
- encourage the understanding and support of their constituencies for the MSAB process and for consensus positions developed by MSAB.
To perform these duties, the MSAB includes the following interests: harvesters (commercial, recreational/sport, and subsistence), fisheries managers, processors, IPHC Secretariat staff, science advisors, and other experts as required. Efforts are made to ensure representation is distributed from throughout the IPHC Regulatory Areas. The term of MSAB members is four years, and members may serve additional terms at the discretion of the IPHC.
Expressions of interest are invited for the following vacancies:
- 2 x Harvesters: Commercial fisheries – 2 x Canadian
- 2 x First Nations/Tribal fisheries: 1 x First Nations (CDN); 1 x Treaty tribes (USA)
- 2 x Processors: 1 x Canadian processor; 1 x USA Processor
- 2 x Recreational/Sport fisheries: 1 x Alaska recreational; 1 x recreational (open)
- MSAB vacancy (sector)
- Full Name
- Contact information
- Supporting documentation (letters of support from relevant Sector)
EOIs must be received by the IPHC Secretariat via email at email@example.com no later than the close of business on 15 June 2018.
The Commission is expected to make an intersessional decision on membership in time for any new members to be able to participate in the next MSAB meeting, scheduled for 22-25 October 2018.
Questions may be directed to the IPHC Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Board members (listed on the IPHC website at https://iphc.int/library/documents/meeting-documents/management-strategy-advisory-board) are also available to discuss the MSAB and the MSE process.
- END -
David T. Wilson, Ph.D.
Phone: (206) 634-1838
Fax: (206) 632-2983
|Document||Title||PDF Link||Date Published|
|IPHC-2018-NR012||Open Call for Expressions of Interest: IPHC Management Strategy Advisory Board Membership||15 May 2018|