Current IPHC Responsibilities:
- Tracking and reporting of Pacific halibut bycatch.
- In-season Pacific halibut sport fishery management in 2A. Annual tracking and reporting of Pacific halibut sport catch.
- Public outreach coordination (trade shows, community presentations, etc.). Part of the IPHC social media relations team.
- Research biology. Projects surrounding discard mortality, halibut physiology, electronic monitoring, parasitology, environmental contaminants, whale depredation.
- IPHC liaison at US Fishery Management Councils.
- University of Guelph, BSc. Specialized Honors—Marine Biology; Minor—Human Nutrition
International Pacific Halibut Commission (Seattle, WA).
- Research Biologist—2015-present
- Survey Manager—2001-2015
Archipelago Marine Research, Ltd. (Victoria, BC)
- Groundfish Observer, Sablefish and Shrimp Data Coordinator, Program Manager—1996-2001
- Halibut condition (fitness/physiology)
- Fishery Discard Mortality
- Ichthyophonus sp. prevalence and intensity
- Environmental contamination
- Whale depredation of Pacific halibut from longline gear
- Bentzen, R., Castellini, J.M., Gerlach, R., Dykstra, C., O’Hara, T. 2016. Mercury concentrations in Alaska Pacific halibut muscle relative to stable isotopes of C and N and other biological variables. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 113, 110-116
- Soderlund, E., Randolph, D. L., Dykstra, C. 2012. IPHC setline charters 1963 through 2003. Int. Pac. Halibut Comm. Tech. Rep. 58. 264 p.
- Yamanaka, K. L., Lochead, J. K., Cooke, K., Lacko, L. C. and Dykstra, C. 2007.Summary of non-halibut catch from the standardized stock assessment survey conducted by International Pacific Halibut Commission in British Columbia from May 31 to July 24, 2005. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2689.55 p.
- Pacific Halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis) Population Estimation and Ecology. Dykstra, C., Geernaert, T. Homer Halibut Festival. Homer, AK, USA. September 9-10, 2016.
- Epizootiology of Ichthyophonus sp. in Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis) in the Northeast Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea. Dykstra, C., Gregg, J., Hershberger, P. Western Groundfish Conference. Newport, OR, USA. February 8-12, 2016.
- Epizootiology of Ichthyophonus sp. in Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis) in the Northeast Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea. Dykstra, C., Gregg, J., Hershberger, P. 9th International Flatfish Symposium. Cle Elum, WA, USA. November 9-14, 2014. [Presentation].
- Total mercury and selenium levels in Alaskan Pacific Halibut (Hippoglossus stenolpis) tissue from 2002-2012. Dykstra C., Gerlach, R. 2014 National Forum on Contaminants in Fish. Alexandria, VA, USA. September 22-24, 2014. [Poster].
Affiliations & Certifications:
- Seattle Aquarium Beach Naturalist.