- Secretariat Staff
- Fisheries Data Services Branch
- Magrane, Kelsey
Kelsey Magrane , B.Sc.
Fisheries Data Specialist (HQ)
Fisheries Data Services Branch
The Fisheries Data Specialist (HQ) positions are responsible for a range of data entry, verification, and reporting roles covering commercial, recreational, subsistence, and bycatch data, and reports directly to the Fisheries Data Coordinator.
Fisheries Data Specialist – Fishery Dependent Data is responsible for data tracking, collating, and reporting on commercial, recreational and subsistence fisheries as well as bycatch of Pacific halibut for the IPHC. Additionally, half of this position’s time includes data entry, including entering a variety of data accurately into the IPHC databases.
- Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission June 2018 to July 2022. Fisheries Biologist 1. Lead the annotation work for the Electronic Monitoring Innovation (EMI) team at the Alaska Fisheries Science Center. Developed and implemented protocols for annotation for machine learning algorithms for different fisheries. Managed image and empirical data for the EMI team as well as QA/QC the data. Provided the University of Washington students the data they needed to create multiple algorithms. Processed Alaskan seabird specimens and data using a multispectral chute for species identification.
- National Marine Fisheries Service - Seattle, WA July 2015 to June 2018. North Pacific Groundfish Observer. Trawl and Longline lead certified and deployed for contracts lasting up to 90 days.
- MIT Sea Grant Study – Team Leader May 2014 to June 2014. Are blue mussels declining in the Gulf of Maine? Population trajectories, connectivity, and spatiotemporal variation in reproduction. Dr. Cascade Sorte, University of Massachusetts Boston, Marine Ecology. Instructed the research team on proper survey techniques as well as oversaw overall operations
- B.Sc., Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, 2013
- Fitzgerald S, Wallace F, Magrane K, et al (2019) Improving seabird species identification in electronic monitoring applications using machine learning systems. In: ACAP -Ninth Meeting of the Seabird Bycatch Working Group. ACAP SBWG9 Inf 21, Florianópolis, Brazil
- Jie Mei, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Suzanne Romain, Craig Rose, Braden Moore, Kelsey Magrane,"Video-based Hierarchical Species Classification for Longline Fishing Monitoring," the 4th Computer Vision for Automated Analysis of Underwater Imagery Workshop (CVAUI), ICPR 2020, Milan Italy, Jan. 2021
- Jie Mei, Jenq-Neng Hwang, Suzanne Romain, Craig Rose, Braden Moore, and Kelsey Magrane, “Absolute 3d pose estimation and length measurement of severely deformed fish from monocular videos in longline fishing,” in ICASSP 2021-2021 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP). IEEE, 2021, pp. 2175–2179.
- Jie Mei, Jingxi Yu, Suzanne Romain, Craig Rose, Kelsey Magrane, Graeme LeeSon, and Jenq-Neng Hwang, “Unsupervised severely deformed mesh reconstruction (dmr) from a single-view image,” 2022.
- J. Mei, Jenq-Neng Hwang, S. Romain, Craig S. Rose, Braden Moore, and Kelsey Magrane, “Video-based hierarchical species classification for longline fishing monitoring,” in ICPR Workshops, 2020.